Have you ever had a great time at a party and then felt like you needed a whole evening alone afterward?

Or maybe the opposite happens—you spend the day by yourself and start looking for someone to talk to because you miss being around people.

If that sounds familiar, you’re not alone.

Most people aren't completely introverted or completely extroverted. You might be somewhere in between, depending on the situation, the people you're with, and even how much energy you have that day.

This 20-question personality questionnaire is a simple way to get a better idea of where you tend to fall.

There are no right or wrong answers. Just answer honestly based on what feels natural to you.


How Does This Introvert vs. Extrovert Questionnaire Work?



For each question, choose the answer that sounds most like you.

Try not to overthink it. Your first reaction is often more useful than the answer you think you're "supposed" to choose.

At the end, you'll add up your points and see whether your answers lean more toward introversion, extroversion, or somewhere in the middle.

Scoring

  • A = 1 point

  • B = 2 points

  • C = 3 points

  • D = 4 points

Ready? Let's see where you land.


20-Question Introvert or Extrovert Questionnaire

1. You walk into a party where you don't know many people. What do you usually do?

A. Look for a quiet corner or familiar face.
B. Stay near someone I already know.
C. Introduce myself to a few people.
D. Start talking to people almost immediately.

2. After spending several hours with a group of people, you usually feel...

A. Completely drained and ready to be alone.
B. A little tired but happy with the experience.
C. Fine and ready to keep going.
D. Energized and eager to do something else with people.

3. What sounds better after a busy week?

A. A quiet evening at home.
B. Watching a movie or relaxing with one or two people.
C. Dinner with friends.
D. Going somewhere lively with a group.

4. Someone starts talking to you while you're waiting in line. You...

A. Give a polite answer and keep to myself.
B. Chat briefly if they seem friendly.
C. Have a small conversation with them.
D. Could easily end up talking to them for the rest of the wait.

5. When you have a problem, what do you usually do first?

A. Think about it privately.
B. Work through it on my own and then talk to someone.
C. Ask a friend what they think.
D. Talk it out with someone right away.

6. How comfortable are you being the center of attention?

A. I really don't enjoy it.
B. I'll do it when necessary.
C. I'm reasonably comfortable with it.
D. I don't mind attention at all.

7. Your ideal weekend would be...

A. Mostly quiet time doing things I enjoy by myself.
B. A mixture of alone time and seeing people.
C. A couple of social activities.
D. As many plans as possible.

8. You're invited to an event at the last minute. What's your reaction?

A. I'd probably rather stay home.
B. It depends on my mood.
C. I'd probably go.
D. I'd be excited about the spontaneous plan.

9. When you're in a large group, you tend to...

A. Listen more than I talk.
B. Talk mostly with people I already know.
C. Join different conversations.
D. Move around and meet lots of people.

10. How do you feel about making phone calls?

A. I'd rather text or email.
B. I'll call if I need to.
C. I don't really mind calls.
D. I actually prefer talking on the phone.

11. You have an entire afternoon with no plans. What sounds best?

A. Having the time completely to myself.
B. Doing something relaxing and maybe seeing someone later.
C. Meeting a friend or going somewhere.
D. Finding something fun to do with other people.

12. When meeting someone new, you usually...

A. Wait for them to start the conversation.
B. Be friendly but take some time to warm up.
C. Introduce myself fairly easily.
D. Start a conversation without thinking twice.

13. How do you feel about working in a busy, open office?

A. I'd find it distracting and tiring.
B. I could manage it with some quiet time.
C. I would be comfortable most of the time.
D. I like the energy of a busy workplace.

14. When you're excited about something, you usually...

A. Keep it to myself for a while.
B. Tell someone close to me.
C. Share it with several people.
D. Want everyone around me to know.

15. Which statement sounds more like you?

A. I enjoy having a small circle of close friends.
B. I prefer a few close friends but enjoy meeting new people too.
C. I have friends in several different groups.
D. I make friends pretty easily wherever I go.

16. You're traveling somewhere alone. How do you feel?

A. Great—I enjoy exploring at my own pace.
B. I'm comfortable alone but like meeting people along the way.
C. I'd probably look for people to socialize with.
D. I'd quickly make friends with other travelers.

17. At a restaurant, you notice someone you know at another table. You...

A. Smile or wave from a distance.
B. Say hello if we make eye contact.
C. Walk over and say hi.
D. Go over and probably join their conversation.

18. How often do you need time alone to recharge?

A. Almost every day.
B. Quite often.
C. Occasionally.
D. Not very often.

19. Someone suggests a group activity you've never tried before. You...

A. Feel a little hesitant.
B. Consider it before deciding.
C. I'm usually willing to give it a try.
D. I'm probably already excited about it.

20. Which sounds most like your natural personality?

A. Quiet, thoughtful, and comfortable in my own company.
B. Somewhere between quiet and outgoing.
C. Friendly, social, and comfortable around people.
D. Highly social, energetic, and drawn to new experiences.


What's Your Score?

Add up the points from all 20 questions.

Your total should be somewhere between 20 and 80.

20–35 Points: Strongly Introverted

You probably feel most comfortable in quieter environments and may need some alone time after a busy day.

You might enjoy deep conversations more than small talk, and having a few close relationships may matter more to you than having a huge social circle.

That doesn't mean you dislike people.

You may simply prefer quality over quantity when it comes to social interaction.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

36–50 Points: Introvert-Leaning

You have some introverted tendencies, but you're not necessarily uncomfortable around people.

You may enjoy spending time with friends but still look forward to getting home and having some quiet time afterward.

Your social energy may depend heavily on the situation.

With the right people, you can be very talkative. In an unfamiliar crowd, you might be perfectly happy sitting back and observing for a while.

51–65 Points: Extrovert-Leaning

You're probably fairly comfortable around people and don't mind starting conversations or joining social activities.

You may get a boost from spending time with friends, coworkers, or other people rather than always needing time alone.

Still, you probably enjoy quiet moments too.

Being extrovert-leaning doesn't mean you have to be the loudest person in the room.

66–80 Points: Strongly Extroverted

You're likely someone who gets a lot of energy from social interaction.

Meeting people, talking, exploring new places, joining activities, and being part of a group may all come naturally to you.

You may even find that too much time alone starts to feel boring.

You're probably comfortable approaching people, starting conversations, and jumping into new social situations.


What If Your Score Is Somewhere in the Middle?

That's completely normal.

You don't have to fit neatly into one box.

If your score falls around the middle, you may have characteristics of both introversion and extroversion. You might enjoy a night out with friends one day and desperately want a quiet evening at home the next.

This is sometimes described as being an ambivert.

Your personality can also look different depending on the situation.

For example, someone might be quiet in a large group but extremely talkative around close friends. Another person might enjoy social events but still need plenty of alone time afterward.

So don't worry too much about the label.

The more interesting question is:

What situations give you energy, and which ones take it away?


Introvert vs. Extrovert: What's the Difference?

The biggest difference isn't simply whether you "like people."

It's more about how you tend to respond to social interaction and where you naturally recharge.

An introverted person may prefer quieter environments, smaller groups, and time alone to recharge.

An extroverted person may enjoy frequent social interaction and feel energized by being around other people.

But real people are complicated.

You can be confident and introverted. You can be shy and extroverted. You can enjoy parties and still need a lot of alone time afterward.

That's why a simple label can't tell you everything about your personality.

Think of this questionnaire as a snapshot of your current tendencies, not a permanent definition of who you are.


A Few Things to Think About

After taking the questionnaire, ask yourself:

  • Do I feel energized or exhausted after social events?

  • Do I prefer a few close friends or a large social circle?

  • Do I enjoy starting conversations with strangers?

  • How much alone time do I actually need?

  • Am I more comfortable speaking or listening?

  • Do I behave differently around close friends?

  • Does my personality change depending on my environment?

Sometimes these questions tell you more than the final score.


Final Thought

Being an introvert isn't something you need to "fix."

Being an extrovert isn't automatically better either.

Both personalities have their strengths.

Introverts may bring thoughtfulness, focus, careful listening, and deep concentration. Extroverts may bring enthusiasm, social confidence, communication skills, and energy to group situations.

And if you're somewhere in between, you may be able to move comfortably between both worlds.

The goal isn't to get the "best" score. It's simply to understand yourself a little better.

This questionnaire is intended for general self-reflection and entertainment. It is not a clinical psychological assessment or a diagnosis.

This version is deliberately conversational and avoids sounding like a standardized psychological test. It should also give you plenty of opportunities to link internally to related articles such as “Am I an Ambivert?”, “What Is My Communication Style?”, and “What Is My Work Personality?”.